Sunday, December 18, 2005

Hicksville

Don’t get me wrong. I love West Texas. The people are fabulous, the economy is booming, and the cost of living simply can’t be beat. I have a job that brings in a steady paycheck that lets me have more fun sometimes than one man should possibly be allowed to have.

Still, I wish I had the cash flow to open a theatre out here because the ones we have serve as a constant reminder that, in a very real way, I still reside in Hicksville.

Take last night, for example. The wife and I decided we wanted to go see King Kong. I had just finished officiating a friends wedding so we rushed home to check out the movie times online. Low and behold, there were no movie times posted! Get with the times, people! You mean to tell me that I can see what’s playing in Big Spring, but I can’t find any listings for the Hollywood Permian Palace in Odessa? We wound up checking the times the old fashioned way—by calling in.

Wait! It gets worse.

When we arrive at the theatre the line is crawling right out the front door and, since the so-called Permian Palace is in a mall, I had to park somewhere near Imperial. I dropped the wife off at the entrance and made my pilgrimage to join her in due haste. I was amazed to discover that only ONE person was selling tickets. They have enough accommodations for four, but apparently they’re so cheap they only wanted to pay ONE person to sell tickets. The busiest box office weekend since summer, and they only had ONE person selling tickets.

At long last we got our turn only to discover that the screening we wanted to catch was already sold out. And they didn’t even have the decency our courtesy to post a sign notifying us this was the case.

Yeah, I love West Texas, but do our theatres have to be so discourteous and behind the times?

4 Comments:

At 2:36 AM, Blogger anjali* said...

Blessed Christmas, Bull!

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know which I had rather see most, Bull Durham as a successful sreen writer, or Bull Durham as a successful theatre owner.

Hey, why not both?!!

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't find the movie times online...come on. Just Google "movies 79762" to see all the movie listings in the 79762 area code. Its very easy and even works from hicksville.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger M. Chad Durham said...

No, they didn't have them posted at all!!

It was our local theatres fault.

Today, they are there, back then, when I wrote this, the theatre hadn't even bothered to post their movie times.

Google, yahoo, and anything else is pointless after that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home