Monday, August 02, 2004

Weekend Sweep

The Village dominated the box office scene this past weekend garnering 50+ million at the gate. Make sure you read my review! Don't look for it to hang on to number one for very long. The critics cut into this one pretty hard.

Matt Damon and the latest of the Bourne saga held up pretty strong, fending off the competition to secure a second place finish.

Thunderbirds crashed and burned. The Manchurian Candidate couldn't even squeak past the incumbant Jason Bourne.

I would still like to see both of these but I'm going to wait for the video release and I'll tell you why. I loved the Thunderbirds as a child. Those puppets were pretty cool. Every once in a while they will pop up on television somewhere and I'll still have to take time out and watch. Now, the movie Thunderbirds struck me as a wannabe Spy Kids, hence the casting of Bill Paxton. Regardless, for the sake of nostalgia alone, I'll give it a whirl when it hits my video shelf.

Likewise The Manchurian Candidate. The original is a classic and it is not that I think Frank Sinatra was all that great. Let's face it, Denzel Washington can out-act that olive voice any day of the week, but the original is in my top-100 of all time. It is a classic, the original story was exceptional and cannot be topped, and Angela Landsbury was phenomenal! Now, in all due defference to Ms. Streep, I'm just partial to the original.

Thunderbirds didn't fail because it is family entertainment. It failed because its cheesy family entertainment. As a remake, it lacks the originality of Spy Kids, which it so desperately seeks to emulate.

Remakes are the devil! This weekend should prove The Waterboy's Mom was right!

Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle didn't even fair as well as I though it would. I guess the world isn't ready for another stoner-duo. Bur fear not! By next weekend, Harold and Kumar will have still managed to make their production money back and then some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home