Tuesday, September 07, 2004

DVD Rundown

Jersey Girl (PG-13)
Starring: Ben Affleck, Liv Tyler, and George Carlin
Director: Kevin Smith

Perhaps overly sentimental and somewhat cliched, Jersey Girl makes this "Lunch Box" cry like a baby. My review for this one is listed below.

Clerks (R)
Starring:
Brian O'Halloran, Jeff Anderson, Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith
Director: Kevin Smith

The $26, 685 flick that made Kevin Smith a Hollywood player. Shot in black and white with ultra low production values, Clerks is an intelligent albeit vulgar film. The brilliance of Smith's dialogue was evident even back then and although this film isn't for every one, if you don't mind anatomical and scatological jokes and references, its a very funny film. This special edition promises even more frills, including the lost scene of Julie Dwyer's funeral resurrected via the magic of animation, the old Jay and Silent Bob MTV spots, The Flying Car short film Smith made for The Tonight Show, and much, much more. One things is for certain, when Smith and company make you shell out the bucks for a second DVD, they make it well worth your while to buy it!

The Punisher (R)
Starring: Thomas Jane, John Travolta, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos
Director: Jonathan Hensleigh

For an R-rated comic book adaptation, The Punisher didn't fair too badly at the box office taking in 45,000 plus world-wide. I haven't seen the film but I probably will sometime this week.

The Lady Killers (R)
Starring: Tom Hanks, Marlon Wayans, and J.K. Simmons
Director: Joel Coen

Reviews on this film were overwhelmingly negative, but the performance of Hanks as illustrated in the trailers are enough to make me want to rent this one some time this week to see what's what.

Alias - 3rd Season
I missed the first several episodes and as much as I'd like to own all three seasons of Alias I think I'll just have to vist the video store. There's just too much out there I'd like to own first, but ya'll have to know what a huge fan of this show I am! It's a pity we have to wait until January for the next season to begin. Maybe this will tide fans over until then.

Magnum P.I. - 1st Season
Here's another release this week that just breaks my heart. I've seen every episode of Magnum P.I. from beginning to end. However, I haven't seen them in years. I would love to go to my local video store and buy this first thing. Instead, I'll be buying Jersey Girl and Clerks X. There' s only so much money a man can afford on his hobbies.
Two Hitchcock classic also hit DVD this week...

Strangers on a Train
Starring: Robert Walker, Farley Granger and Ruth Roman
Director: Alfred Hitchcock

Dial M for Murder
Starring: Ray Milland, Grace Kelly, and Robert Cummings
Director: Alfred Hitchcock

The Star Wars Trilogy hits DVD in 14 days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home